Monday, April 11, 2011

I'm right where I should be

I was feeling a little down this morning. Part of it has to do with the fact that C left yesterday to head back upstate, and of course it sucks that he's not here.* Also, the excitement of my birthday, which is this coming Saturday, has dwindled largely because I have a big talk to give on Sunday and I'm probably going to spend much of the happy day just preparing for it.

But then while I was working this afternoon, another professor in the department came to ask me a question about a freshman who was considering dropping his major, for this specific science that I study and teach, to just the "General Science" degree. This ultimately led the student (who is in my lab) to come talk to me, and I gave him my two cents, and helped him figure out what he should do for his major. He actually wants to do something else entirely, possibly, and was going to double major in general science in addition to this other major, to give himself more leverage in his future prospects.

I basically told him that he shouldn't drop the current major just yet, since all of the classes he could take in the fall would work for all degrees he's considering, and may allow him to change his mind.

After he left, I felt spectacular. I don't know if I really helped, but I think I did, and I feel as though he really appreciated it. I think in the end that he was happy that I spent that much time thinking about it with him, and of course I had to figure out the details of the majors and requirements, which I did in real time while he was here. It made me realize that I could very easily be a student advisor already without having any real knowledge of what is required out there.

But in the end, it cheered me up because I was doing what I honestly felt like I was made to do. It put a positive spin on an otherwise dreary day. I don't think it's a coincidence that the sun came out shortly after that little meeting.
---
* Although we had an awesome weekend shopping at Macy's, going to the Bronx Zoo, and seeing "Company" at the Philharmonic Saturday night, so I can't complain that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment