Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Attack of the non-existent mouse

Saturday night I had a bit of a scare. An hour after I had returned from the grocery store, I heard a bunch of rustling and squeaking. It seemed to come at first from the hall but very quickly sounded like it came from the kitchen. I went in there and kicked the door under the sink (where the trash is), as I wasn't ready to see the mouse. Nothing. Eventually I opened the door, and there was nothing there, and no sign of anything. I let myself believe that it must have been my neighbor returning home with his shopping cart (I had seen him leave when I was coming home).

Then a few hours later I heard it again and figured it really must have been a mouse. I was very unhappy about this, but Sunday night on my way home I got a trap and set it, and waited.

Up to now, nothing. I think I have pieced together one of two possibilities (not including the one where there might have been a mouse but it left, since that's not as likely). One, since I heard the noise again last night, but definitely in the hallway, it could just be the mysterious shopping cart (which I still haven't seen while it's making the noise, but still). Also, although I don't hear a lot of noises from this, I think my neighbors may have a cat, as of last week, since now whenever we come inside, Dante immediately runs to their door, sniffing it like he's hunting something.

As long as it's not a mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment