Thursday, January 20, 2011

Do I really care?

So a friend on Facebook just posted that she was deactivating her account because she spends too much time on it, and to message her if anyone wanted contact info to keep in touch. This is something that is very strange to me.

I guess if I ever deactivated my account, I would just do it. The reason being that anyone who I would care to be in contact with already has my info. My phone number hasn't changed in over six years, and while my email has, I generally update people that matter (and quite honestly anyone with half a sense can find my email pretty easily online).

A significant number of my "friends" on Facebook are more like acquaintances. I haven't any real need to keep in touch with them, but I do actually like knowing what's going on with them. It's a daily "alumni newsletter" for various times in my life: high school, college, grad school, and so forth.

For a brief second I thought about emailing her to get her info, but while I like hearing about what's happening in her life, I would never email her privately for any reason. It's one of those things that makes me feel kind of sad, but then I realize that in about three minutes I'll completely forget about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment