Monday, January 24, 2011

Office or home?

Days like this make me again revisit the question of whether or not to work from home or go into the office. I have no scheduled obligations today, and the weather is biting (-1 wind chill right now). So working from home is appealing.*

The downside is that while I can get work done from home there is something that is very grounding by being in the office. In the evenings I do work while having the television on, so I'm less productive that way, but when I am home during the day, the TV remains off. But still there is the feeling that I'm in my home, and I think of other things that really should get done: cleaning, laundry, whatever (mind you, none of this other stuff gets done, but it's distracting).

But going into the office can get distracting very fast, with students coming to ask questions, other students coming to just chat, or my very least favorite, those coming to ask directions or bug me in some other way. My office is in the middle of the first floor, and students come to borrow my stapler for their homework they're turning in, or to ask where room 105 is (why the hell wasn't that room put in numerical order in the building? To irritate me, that's why.), or some other inane issue. I could close my office door but I have always been of the opinion that my door is (literally) "always open," so that would defeat the purpose. Plus if I kept my door closed, then I would have to get up to open it whenever someone came by. And if it were someone wanting to borrow a stapler, I would have to kill them.
---
*Note that really this is not an option today because I have already told a student I would be on campus at the very least this afternoon, and well, they have homework due tomorrow so I should be around.

No comments:

Post a Comment