Monday, March 21, 2011

Make them think they're failing

The mentality of certain students is pretty amazing to me at times. Some are nervous and panicky over losing a point or two, because they just have to get perfect grades (and the person I am specifically thinking about is not a pre-med, just high strung). Some are laid back and clearly just enjoying the education (I have several of those in my class and they are a joy). Some seem exceedingly indifferent, they aren't doing spectacularly but seem to be trying, but at the same time it almost looks like they don't really care one way or the other. And then there are those who do poorly and get surprised when I tell them as much.

For example, I have three students that again I have had to submit a "danger of failing" notice. These are upperclassmen that are majors in my field, and as upperclassmen, we don't submit midterm grades (that is just for freshmen). Instead, we just notify the records office if the student is likely to fail the course.

Two of these students I had last semester and I submitted the same thing back then. They then worked very hard to get their grades up and they succeeded in passing just barely to obtain credit for the class. (Both of my classes last semester and this semester are required for the degree, so a grade of C or better is required.) So of course I was surprised to see that they hadn't changed their ways, and realized that I give very difficult homeworks that they have to get through, and I had to submit the same notice again.

I received an email over spring break from one student who seemed surprised at his* grade, and began panicking because he is supposed to graduate this semester. He then started going into detail about how he gets stuck on the homeworks and doesn't know what to do, and doesn't know how the other students do it.

I have said in the past several things about my homeworks to the students. One, work together, as that will save you a lot of grief. Two, always look at it the day it is assigned. This is not to say that you have to complete it that day, just look at it. It will give you an idea about what is to be expected. Three, (and this one is the most important that he should have learned last semester and most of the other students already understand), come to me with any questions and I can help! This is not easy stuff, and if you understood it that well already, you should be teaching the class.

Oh, and just FYI, don't act surprised if you get a "danger of failing" notice when you have been getting 7 out of 60 points on your homeworks.
---
*Instead of being gender-neutral, I'll use "he, his, and him" for all pronouns to save typing.

No comments:

Post a Comment