Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Spring Break

It is spring break this week. Without any teaching, of course I have a weird amount of free time to work on my research, and I'm getting it done. I did the unthinkable, with regards to spring break: I headed north, to a colder climate. Not ridiculously colder, but still colder, as was noticed when we left the city Sunday and arrived upstate, where the snow began to fall (luckily not really accumulating). C has to teach this week (his spring break was last week), and so while he's working, I'm making my rounds of the coffeeshops in the area. It's worked quite well thus far, as I made a tremendous amount of progress yesterday. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have a lot of exciting things to talk about when I visit Yale the following week.

I must say it is easier (for the short term) to get some things done here. Not because I get distracted in my office (which I do, but that wouldn't happen this week), nor because I don't have teaching responsibilities (I still have midterms to grade, but I'm putting that off since I know they will not exactly be the best). No, it's easier to get things done in a mildly unfamiliar environment. I have been to this city plenty, but since it isn't where I spend all my time, it's a lot easier to actually just get things done.

Of course, I'm sleeping a lot more now too, which doesn't hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment