Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Summer Research

I now have three undergraduates who wish to work with me over the summer. Two of them are from my university and are sophomores. I just met them recently (hadn't had them in a class yet), and wasn't sure what to expect. But then I got to sub for a class they both happen to be in, and now I'm feeling much better about having them work with me.

It is interesting how just a single interaction allows for me to get a decent idea of what to expect. Obviously, someone who is very talkative in class is not necessarily good at research, but at the same time it shows at least that they want to play an active role. So I think they'll be able to get a lot of good work done over the summer.

The third student is from this area, but going to school elsewhere, and he wants to do some sort of research in my field. This person does not want to get paid, which leads me to wonder. Did he not apply for summer REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates, funded by the National Science Foundation), or not get accepted to any? Did he just want to come home for the summer and we are the closest institution to his house? I'm a bit more reticent about this student, but at the same time I'm a little indifferent. Whatever he does will be just for him, and it isn't like he'll have to defend any funding he received.

I just have to figure out what to make him do.

No comments:

Post a Comment